Saturday, September 12, 2009

She's a Man by Oluwatoyin (Grace) Mabadeje

“Girl, are you okay? What are you doing with that jobless loser? Look, if you're having trouble finding a good man I can hook you up"........ These and many more despicable words were the words coming out of my girl friend's mouth because I decided to trade places with my boyfriend. It was the first time my friends were meeting him and boy, was he not the one for me because his behavior towards me was normative for his gender.
Last Saturday, my girlfriends told me that we needed to make time to hang out since we had not seen one another since school started. So we decided to go to the movies with our boyfriends. The last time we saw each other I was the only one who did not have a boyfriend among all of them. But we talked on the phone and I told them about the guy I was talking to who became my boyfriend about a week before we went to the movies. They were all eager to meet him but to their surprise, he appeared to them as if I were his babysitter.
When we got to the movie theater, while their boyfriends held the door for them, I held the door for my boyfriend. When we bought the tickets for the movie, I paid for him and myself. They were shocked but they could not say what they had in mind at that point in time. After the movie, we went out to eat at a local restaurant. Once again, I paid for our food and even pulled out the chair for him to sit down. At this point, my girls could not take it anymore and one of them sarcastically said, “Grace, you‘re such a gentleman I didn’t know your boyfriend was a woman”. I just giggled because I did not want them to know my game plan. One of my friends suggested that we cut the date short because she just could not stand my boyfriend.
When I got home, I had nine missed calls all from my friends. They couldn’t wait to tell me all about how much of a jerk my boyfriend was because I paid for our date. They assumed he did not have a job and that was why I was paying for everything. I had to break it to them that it was just an assignment and that my boyfriend actually gave me the money we spent. We ended up laughing about the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment